I honestly went back and forth with this article. There were many things that made sense and I agreed with whole-heartily, but other things that I thought were simply a result of over analyzing students, behavior, and the classroom. For example: “The moral of this story is that just because motivation is internal doesn’t mean it’s ideal.” I say who cares. The idea that my students are motivated, no matter the reasons for it, is much better then them not being motivated. I would rather see them putting in a high effort then not. I see the point of students completing tasks just to stave off anxiety being a bad thing, but I'm not convinced that is occurring as frequently as the article might suggest. Sometimes we over think the reasons we do things. In life how many times do we do things as teachers, parents, co-workers, neighbors, or sons and daughters, because it just needs to get done. I know it’s not glamorous to say, but learning that life is full of tasks that we do because they need to be done, is a good lesson to learn going into high school. I do agree with the idea that with such stress put on the leveling of education and completing tasks just to get to the next, does take the value of the task away. We often wonder while tasks aren’t mastered or why something wasn’t learned even though it was taught, well maybe it’s because the focus is on the completion of tasks and not the tasks themselves, “satisfaction from the process rather than always focused on the product.”
Another interesting point: “if they’re nevertheless engaged in ensuring that children internalize our values — in effect, by installing a policeman inside each child —then they ought to admit that this isn’t the same as helping them develop their own values, and it’s diametrically opposed to the goal of helping them become independent thinkers. Control from within isn’t inherently more humane than control from without, particularly if the psychological effects aren’t all that different, as it appears they aren’t.” I agree. Our children aren’t learning anything in this situation other than a blue print of how to act. We do need to teach good decision making and encourage them to make the right decision for them as individuals, but then we have to give them the opportunity to practice these skills. Often times students don’t get this practice, but instead go off to high school or college and are now left to use these skills for the first time. Without practice in a controlled environment the consequences are magnified and sometimes catastrophic.
My dad always says “everything in moderation.” I think we need to take self-discipline and theories against it in moderation and with a grain of salt. I always have a hard time siding with an argument 100% when no alternative is offered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
As educators, we are always talking about the need for students to be provided with opportunities to apply the skills which they learn. Why should decision making be any different from the other skills which we teach? There is a necessity for schools to maintain a certain degree of control for various reasons, but denying students opportunities to apply decision making skills can only result in disaster. As educators, we should want to foster decision making skills and provide students with opportunities to execute decisions while in a safe setting rather than assuming that they will able to independently figure out how to do this when left on their own, without a safety net.
ReplyDelete