I am always impressed by the insight offered by middle school students. Sometimes I think that insight is clouded by immaturity and peer pressure, but in the end kids often surprise me. One thing I have really started to notice in the few middle schools I've been in an even fewer amount of years, is the incredible range of maturity, insight, and motivation. The more I read the more I hear how one minute a middle school student is raising money to help end local homelessness and then the next minute they're farting in class to make everyone laugh. I know I tend to forget that this is an age of extremes and inconsistency. Not all middle school kids act the same and not one acts in one way all the time. Because I work with an age group that I would compare with a roller coaster ride, I have learned to celebrate those amazing moments, like those found at the website below, and try to accept those gaseous moments. I especially like the artwork found at the website below, but make sure you read what the kids had to say about the meaning of their art. Very insightful!
Expression from the middle:
http://www.nmsa.org/moya/StudentEngagement/ExpressionsfromtheMiddle/tabid/1186/Default.aspx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
Well said...it is an age of ups and downs. I wouldn't necessarily say inconsistent...because they are consistent for their development...which of course is being er..."inconsistent".
ReplyDeleteA great analogy here, Joe, and one you should save in your back pocket and use again.
When you take a close look...a really close look...at what they can do (i.e, the artwork and more you saw) they can do amazing things.
They want to help kids half way around the world, but they can't get along with others in their own classes. Interesting dichotomy. But, that is what they are all about...they are learning this stuff (life!) as they go along...and sometimes they are "trying out" a role just to see how it fits. So when they say stuff to us...they may just want to see how we react...not that they necessarily believe it.